Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4 people
In India, tandoori chicken is cooked in a tandoori clay oven,. Alternatively it can be cooked under a preheated oven.
Whole chicken cut into pieces or you can use just drumsticks
1 cup yogurt
2 tsp thinly chopped fresh
2 tsp crushed fresh garlic
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp coriander powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 cup water
½ cup vegetable oil
To garnish: Onion rings, tomatoes, lemon wedges
- Using a sharp knife, make 2-3 slashes in each piece of chicken.
- Place the yogurt in a large bowl. Add the ginger, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander powder, salt and red food coloring and blend together until well mixed.
- Add the chicken to the yogurt – spice mixture and mix to coat well.
- Cover and let the chicken marinate in refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Mix the tamarind paste with the water in a separate bowl and fold into the mixture.
- Toss the chicken pieces in the mixture again, cover and let marinate for additional 3 hours.
- Preheat the broiler to the medium temperature.
- Transfer the chicken pieces to a heatproof dish and brush with vegetable oil
- Cook under the preheated broiler for 30-35 minutes, turning the pieces occasionally and basting with any remaining oil, until the meat is tender and cooked through.
- Arrange the chicken on a bed of lettuce and then garnish with onion rings, sliced tomatoes and lemon wedges.
- Serve with naan bread.
After peeling onions cut in half and soak in water for about 10 minutes before cutting to avoid crying