Cooking Time: 35 -40 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 500 gm Chicken thigh pieces (boneless)
Marinade for Tikkas
- 6 tbsp. Yoghurt
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp (Garam Masala)
- 4-5 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tomatoes(chopped)
- 1 Onion chopped fine
- 1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp. Cumin powder
- ½ tsp. Coriander powder
- ¼ cup Milk
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
Chicken tikka masala is a two step process.
Tikka and Gravy. Grilling the chicken definitely flavours this dish but if you do not have a grill, you could use any oven too. Once you have your chicken grilling, you could start the gravy process in parallel.
- Cut chicken into smaller pieces. Drain any water.
- Mix all ingredients for the marinade and add chicken into it. Set aside for at least 1 hour
- Grill chicken on hot grill (barbecue) to golden brown. Baste butter (or oil) frequently to ensure that chicken remains tender and moist. Do not overcook.
- Heat oil 2 TBSP and add ginger, garlic paste. Fry a little and add chopped onions.
- Keep heat on high to slightly caramelize the onions. Caramelizing onions enhances its flavors for this dish.
- When onions turn golden, add chopped tomatoes and keep frying on medium heat until the oil separates.
- Add cumin and coriander powder. Mix
- Add salt and sugar and drop the chicken tikka pieces in it.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes on low heat and let the flavors mingle a little.
- Increase heat to high and incorporate milk slowly. Stirring continuously.
- Once the gravy is of right consistency, reduce heat to low.