Cooking Time: 55 minutes
Serves: 6 people
- 500 gms chicken pieces, skinned
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large onions, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, crushed
- 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- tbsp milk
- 4 bunches spinach, washed and chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tbsp turmeric
- 2 large cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Fry the chicken lightly in 2 tablespoons of oil for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned and set aside.
- Put the spinach into a deep pan; add ¼ cup of water, bring to the boil and remove from heat. When cool, grind in blender and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and add ginger, garlic and onions and sauté until lightly brown. Add tomatoes, salt, cayenne, coriander powder, turmeric, cloves, and cardamom.
- Sprinkle with one-tablespoon of water. Cook for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add chicken and milk. Simmer until the chicken is tender.
- Add spinach and garam masala. Cook until spinach starts sticking to pan.
- Remove from heat. Add butter to chicken saag and cover until ready to serve